Our vastly experienced and knowledgeable Energy Consultants provide Energy Statements for planning to demonstrate varying levels of carbon reductions (5-100%) to support planning applications for domestic, commercial and mixed use developments throughout the UK.
With an emphasis on minimising increases in build costs, we can help support both minor and major development proposals throughout the UK, including schemes that need to comply with the requirements of the London Plan.
EPS Group: Expert Energy Statements & Consultancy Services
Many planning authorities require an Energy Statement to be submitted alongside Planning Applications in order to satisfy local low carbon and sustainability planning policies.
The requirements of localised planning policies differ significantly throughout the country meaning the energy reports need to be tailored to local requirements. Local authorities may also refer to an Energy Statement by one of the following alternate terms:
– Low Carbon Statement
– Renewable Energy Statement
– Carbon Emission Reduction Strategy
– Energy and Sustainability Report
At EPS Group, we have extensive experience in providing such energy planning reports for all types of development throughout the UK. Our expert Energy Consultants specialise in advising how local sustainability targets can be met in both a cost-effective and practical manner.
Contact our Team on 0115 7270 599 to discuss how we can assist with your Energy Statement requirements further.
What is an Energy Statement?
An Energy Statement is a report that an increasing number of Local Planning Authorities require to be submitted with planning applications for new build or conversion developments. Each energy planning report details how local low carbon or renewable energy targets will be met within the proposed development if Planning Permission is granted.
Local policies vary significantly between different Planning Authorities with targets requiring reports to show how a development will achieve anything from a 5 to 100% reduction in regulated Carbon Dioxide (CO2) emissions over the current edition of Approved Document L: Volume 1 of the Building Regulations.
It is also common for Council’s to insist on the installation of low carbon or renewable technologies within new developments.
Energy Planning Statements FAQs
What is included within an Energy Statement?
Reports typically include the following components:
- Baseline energy calculations for the proposed development (SAP & SBEM Calculations)
- Proposals for improved fabric thermal efficiencies
- Proposals for improved heating, hot water, ventilation and lighting efficiencies
- A review of the location of any local district heat networks
- A site specific feasibility study into the potential use of different renewable or low carbon technologies
- Predicted energy calculations (SAP & SBEM Calculations) for the development demonstrating compliance with the local low carbon planning conditions
How are Energy Statements Used?
The Energy Planning Statement should be submitted to the Local Planning Authority to show how their local low carbon or renewable energy targets will be satisfied.
If Planning Permission is granted, the report should be further utilised by the Design Team as they devise the final build specification for the development. This will help to ensure that the completed development achieves the proposals submitted to the Planning Authority, who may have imposed conditions which will need to be discharged upon completion.
In support of the above process, EPS Group can provide updated SAP or SBEM calculations for Building Control applications as well as Air Leakage Testing and On Construction Energy Performance Certificates upon completion of the build.
Are there any tips for Energy Statements?
- Low carbon planning policies generally require development’s to exceed the current requirements of Approved Document L: Volume 1 of the Building Regulations. Applicants should, therefore, expect to adopt enhanced build specifications including increased levels of insulation, improved heating and hot water efficiencies and controls and reduced levels of air permeability.
- Each Local Planning Authority has different requirements for Energy Statements based upon their adopted low carbon and renewable planning policies. The Design Team should, therefore, seek to address these requirements as early as possible with the design process to avoid any unnecessary costs associated with redesigns or the re-submission of planning applications.
- Adopting certain low or zero-carbon technologies within a development can avoid the need to connect to a mains gas supply. In some instances, this can provide a substantial cost saving, which may offset the recommendations detailed within the Energy Statement.
- When devising the design recommendations/proposals within an Energy Statement, an experienced Energy Consultant can save a developer substantial sums of money through reduced material and technology costs. It is therefore essential that the Design Team are confident that the consultant that they appoint will represent their clients best interests.
How can EPS Group help with my Energy Statements?
There are many reasons to appoint EPS Group to help support your planning application.
How can EPS Group help with my Energy Statements?
Regardless of whether an Energy Statement is required for a residential, commercial or mixed-use development, we will devise a proposal that meets the requirements of the local planning authority. We will also work with you to ensure that the commercial viability of the scheme is maintained.
There are many reasons to appoint us to provide your Energy Planning Statement including:
Experienced & Knowledgeable Team
Our Energy Consultants have completed hundreds of low carbon energy reports for development proposals of all sizes and uses throughout the UK.
Emphasis on Low-Cost Measures
We understand that Energy Reports can often be overlooked when preparing a Planning Application. We can therefore often provide an expedited service if a deadline is pending.
Forward Thinking Advice & Recommendations
When producing Energy Statements, we always have future Approved Document L compliance in mind. We therefore, ensure that all of our recommendations will satisfy both the local planning authority’s requirements and any future Building Regulation obligations.
Ongoing Technical Support
We understand that planning proposals are often subjected to change. We are therefore available to update or amend previous issued Energy Statements at a reasonable cost with minimum fuss.
Contact us to discuss your development further or to request a FREE Quotation:
Recent Energy Statement Projects
EPS Group: A Partner for those in the Construction Industry
We value the importance of a solid working relationship with those in the construction industry, and for many, we serve as the reliable go-to-company to entrust from the planning stage of a development through to completion.
What Our Clients say: